Wednesday 1 April 2020

The Invisible Divides


I am privileged.


It’s a pretty strange and intensely uncomfortable place to be for me. 


Privilege relates only to the rich, the politician, royalty, people in power, those popularly known to be benefiting from current gender, racial and socioeconomic arrangements. I am clearly none of these...or so I thought. 


In many ways, I am privileged. It dawned on me as I rationalized the logical progression and impact of the corona-virus. It registers whenever I consider the objects and coverage of policy measures rolled out by governments across the world to manage Covid-19. I am left in no doubt as I watch internally displaced persons in my own country and in other countries trekking home in distressing circumstances due to the collapse of their already unsustainable livelihoods.‘We’re doomed. If we don’t die of the disease, we’ll die of hunger,’one of them is reported to have said.


 

So apparently for obvious reasons, I am privileged. 


I am embarrassed that I did not realize this earlier. I am humbled that I occupy a position of privilege because to be in a position of privilege is a privilege. 


#lendahand

#lendyourvoice

#supportthevulnerable  

No comments:

Post a Comment

(UN)TAMED

Daddy thought She's just a chirpy little girl; She should be left alone. Mother thought She’s daddy's little girl; Better let her be...