Tuesday 3 April 2012

Uncommon Business Sense

“The customer rules”; “the customer is always right”; “your wish is our command”; “you are the reason we exist”; “we value our customers”-- really powerful statements that should make any potential client or customer of a business feel like royalty, illusionary though it might be.  

That people in business are out to make money is common knowledge. The essential thing is business people know where the money they seek will come from – from the people who walk through their doors.  That’s what explains the hype about how far back businesses will bend to please their customers or more aptly, entice and encourage customers to joyfully part with their resources.   
                        
I am fascinated by the manner in which this rather “apparent” logic is played out in the world of business in my parts and tempted to think that a rare crop of business savvies are fast gaining ground about me. Nouvelle as their strategies may be the logic escapes me for now. Sneak a peek;
                                           
At the parking lot:
I need to transact business at the bank; errm no, I am not borrowing. Suppose I was anyway, it’s a product for which someone would be receiving abnormal interest, no? Anyways I get to the premises of the bank and drive round the parking area looking for a place to park.

I see the sign “reserved” marked on the only 2 free parking slots at the parking lot.  I figure I am a client of the business and there should be no hassle parking in the space so I reverse and prepare to settle my car comfortably in one of the spaces. Just when I am about to slide into the space, here comes a man in khaki trousers and blue shirt with a badge reading “security”. “Madam you can’t park here” he says.

Apparently, the slots are reserved for the Managing Director and deputy!  When I explain that my business is to do “business” and not sight-see, security just shrugs and in quite a matter of fact way tells me it really does not make a difference. The next time I visit the bank, not only have the reserved slots increased, some wooden stands have been placed in the reserved parking slots, presumably to deter “difficult” clients like me who would insist on parking in the reserved space.

This reserved parking for the high ups in business is in operation in several places. In most public institutions the slots are not only reserved but labelled (Operations Manager etc....); at private businesses such as the sports club or restaurant the reserved spaces are for owners, their spouses and other family/ business partners. Trouble is, there is no reserved parking for customers.


At the Shop at Lunch Time:
I figured since most buyers are working my kind of hours or working specific hours that impose different rest periods, shops on week days would ensure that they operate hours that do not cut off potential buyers. After all, they exist because of the potential buyers right? Armed with this knowledge, I proceed to do the 20 minute journey to the well known shop in town during my lunch hour to buy some fabric.  I get there just about 1pm only to find the shop closed. A sign on the glass door informs me that the shop is closed for the lunch break and will re-open at 2pm. About five other potential buyers probably with the same expectations of weekday shopping for workers like us are also waiting behind the doors.

I peer in through the glass doors and I see at least six individuals chatting and looking at their potential customers from inside their cooler. One of the younger lads actually has the good sense to point me to his watch and then direct my eyes to the notice on the glass door as if to say, “read the notice, it’s not 2pm yet”. True enough but I wasn’t hanging around for the clock to ding-dong that number!


At the Eatery:  
Who is taking the orders? That’s a good question when you choose the average local spot for a meal. On a good day, someone welcomes you, shows you to a table and tells you “please am coming”. After five minutes the same person or someone else comes to clear and clean the table and asks what you care to drink. 5 minutes after this someone else brings the drinks and will turn to walk away unless you ask if they’ll take your food order. Um ... usually not but this person will promise that someone else will be coming your way soon. On the other hand if this person acts nice and decides to take your order, you would wish they didn’t because 20 minutes after that, you would likely be seen frantically looking for the waiter and waving to attract the attention of another waiter, any waiter.  Eventually, the waiter will return to let you know that he or she is “alone that’s why”; this means you need to understand that the long absences are inevitable.

The owner-supervisor type lurking around the counter or sitting at one of the tables is in the meantime playing with a phone or busy looking the part of the business owner. Usually dressed up in “business” clothing, it’s obviously not their place to serve.

So finally your food order is placed, and you sink into your seat already relishing the next more pleasant activity. 15 to 30 minutes into the wait, you spot your food waiter approaching but with nothing in hand. “Please they say (whatever you ordered) is finished” or “the chef says there is no (some ingredient)”. The last time I got that rap, it was no bananas for my smoothie at a smoothies place! This will undoubtedly make you sit upright and trust me, this is the time to forget the meal and bolt because “special” service is yet to peak!


The special services group of companies have one thing in common that I have noticed - they are locally owned or run. I would have loved not to mention this but I felt that would be unfair seeing as they are strenuously singling themselves out from among all the ordinary others who have as yet to upgrade.


Could there be something about us that predisposes our businesses to such extraordinary feats or this is possible because we expect and accommodate pedestrian practices? I wonder. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

(UN)TAMED

Daddy thought She's just a chirpy little girl; She should be left alone. Mother thought She’s daddy's little girl; Better let her be...